Writing SEO friendly blog posts is time-consuming and difficult. But it is ok to spend time on this because it helps your article to rank on top of the search.
Writing SEO friendly blog posts is a skill and like other skills, it can be improved. Many people think it is too hard to do. But if you follow some simple checklist it will do your job done.
An SEO friendly blog post also depends on blog structure, the formatting, headings, and paragraphs.
In this article, I shared some steps that I personally use to optimize my all blog posts.
Why you need to write SEO friendly blog posts?
- You will get a chance to achieve higher rankings on the search results.
- It will drive maximum traffic on your blog.
- Your blog posts will rank higher in the SERPS, readers spend maximum time on your blog.
- It will decrease the bounce rate of your blog.
Let me clear one last thing before we start, you shouldn’t expect a blog post to rank high just because you followed the steps to make it SEO friendly. It’s the combination of good content and good SEO (including Off-Page SEO), that will push a blog post in the first pages of Google.
Checklist to write SEO friendly blog posts
So, now you will understand what is SEO friendly blog post and how to write it. Just follow these steps.
1. Think before you start writing
Anytime you start writing posts, first think the whole process and the topics in detail. And make a draft of the important parts and the different sections that you include on your blog post.
What I do is, I read many blogs and articles. When I find a topic that is interesting I make a draft of it. Then I start keyword research related to that topic.
I make a publishing schedule for one month.
2. Create a layout of your blog post
Next step is to chalk out a layout of your blog post, means different sections of your blog post.
Adding different sections will help you to write more than 250 words to cover one part of your blog post. like Title, Introduction, Body of your post and conclusion.
Think about the goal of your blog post. Like:
- What specific topics to cover in the blog post?
- What is the goal of the post (to get better rankings for a keyword, to get more subscribers, etc.)
- How will the new post benefit your readers?
3. Create Title and the URL
The next step is to craft your post title and the URL. It is the most important part to write SEO friendly blog posts for SEO purpose and user-friendliness.
An SEO optimized title gives the hint to search engine what the page is about.
A good title should have the following characteristics:
- Has a character length between 55-60 so that it is shown without breaks in the SERPS.
- Includes your target keyword (but not keyword-stuffed)
- It accurately describes the content of the blog post
- It is interesting to make users click your entry when displayed in the search engines results pages.
When it comes to the URL, the rules are simple:
- Use “-“ to separate the words that make up a URL. If this is not the case for your blog and you are on WordPress, you need to change your permalink structure.
For example, the default URL for this blog post was /How to Write SEO Friendly Blog Posts-Complete Guide/ but I have optimized it by changing it to /seo-guide-how-to-write-seo-friendly-blog-posts/.
- Consider making your URLs shorter by removing unnecessary words.
NB: If you want to change your URL after a post is published, you need to add 301 redirects to preserve your rankings.
4. Use headings correctly
A well-optimized blog follows the following rules before adding headlines.
h1 tag: There should be only one h1 tag on the page. This is usually the same as the <title> of the post, although it doesn’t have to be the same. It is important is to have only one h1 tag and that heading to include your target keywords.
Use headings in a hierarchical mode: The title of the post is the h1 tag and then the main sections should have an h2 and the subsections an h3. So, the order of the tags should be H1->H2->H3.
The reason that you should have your content organized in this structural way is simple: It helps search engine spiders during the crawling process and makes the blog post easier to read for users.
5. Writing blog post tips
It’s finally time to start writing. There are many aspects to be considered in the process. I outlined them below, but they cannot be necessarily put in order.
Make sure you consider all of them! OnPage SEO is what you have full control over, so try to do your best.
- Bullets, Bolds, H2, H3: People likes the shorter and split up content. Because it is easy to read. Search engines like it as well. Use secondary keywords in the headings, and bold important words/phrases in your article.
- Use paragraphs: Use paragraphs and make them shorter, rather than longer. A paragraph should be around 5 sentences long and not more than 300 words.
- Use the main keyword in the first paragraph: Use the main keyword in the first paragraph of your blog post, and try to place it towards the beginning.
- Use the main keyword in the article body: Use your keyword throughout the article, once around the middle, and once towards the ending.
- Keyword density of maximum of 5%: You shouldn’t use your keyword more than 5 times per 1000 words. Usually, some words will repeat more than that, but when your main keyword is in the title, the meta description, every heading and 100 times throughout the content. Google marks it as keyword stuffing and it can affect your ranking.
- Include related keywords: This can become a very advanced procedure, but luckily, they can be found at the bottom of Google when searching for a term.
- Minimum 300 words article: Google always loves longer articles. Make sure they are at least 300 words long, although I would recommend considering a minimum of 1000 words. But it totally depends on your website niche and your article.
- Link internally: If your blog post has some links relevant to your other blog post, try to add those links internally.
- Link externally: If the body of your post link to at least 2 reputable resources in the industry, try to add the resource page with your post externally. Google likes it when you add outbound links.
6. Add and Optimize Images
Adding relevant images is the most important things. trustworthy images can bring a lot of traffic on your blog. so try to add minimum 2-3 images.
- Use stock photos: Take care when creating your own photos. People prefer them over stock photos.
- Insert credit: Using other people’s images might also lead you into legal issues, so be careful! If you use someone else’s picture, make sure you are allowed to and give the proper credits.
- Add Alt tags: Search engines can’t really read images, so they use the alt text or description to know what the image is about. Make sure you don’t let them empty.
- Image size: Use tools like compresspng & compessjpeg can reduce the storage size of your image without affecting the visual size, it will increase your page loading speed.
7. Add Video Content
If you can create videos relevant to your blog post, add this in your post. It will increase user experience. If Some people like watching videos, and that will help you keep them on your page.
Though it is not necessary. If you love to create videos you can add it.
8. Add optimized meta description
Above in the post, I have already discussed the optimizing of the title and the URL. Now another thing is very important to do is to optimize your blog post’s meta description.
The description tag is a summary of the post in less than 156 characters. Google may choose to show your description in the results so it has to be informative and interesting to encourage users to click your link and visit your blog.
NB: Do not forget to add your keyword in the meta description of your blog post.
9. Before publishing do this
- Add a Featured Image: Add an image that describes your blog content.
- Choose Categories & Tags: Choose the correct categories and tags for your article. This will help the overall structure of your website. Some people might search your site for specific articles. If the articles aren’t in the correct category, they won’t be able to find them.
- Social Media Optimization: Your blog might require different image sizes than social media platforms do. You might want one description for your site, but another on your Facebook post. Open Graph and Twitter Cards will help display the images and descriptions correctly and separately on social media platforms.
- Make authorship: Add author bio at the end of the article. You can do this by simply installing —– Plugin.
- Check grammatical errors: Correct any grammar mistakes you spot. Bad spelling can result in poor user experience. You can use “Grammarly” for this job.
- Verify Links: Before publishing always check all the internal and external links. Because broken links are not good user experience and it also affects your ranking.
10. Keep your content up-to-date:
Keeping your blog up-to-date is very important. Because no one loves outdated content. If you update your blog regularly with adding fresh new content, it pushes information to search engines. It is also helpful for your ranking.
Why you need to update your blog posts?
- It will increase the number of pages you have in the Google index. This makes your website and domain stronger.
- It is another incentive for users to come back to your blog.
- It’s a great ‘excuse’ to get in touch with your subscribers.
- It’s one of the ways to stay in synch or bypass your competitors.
- It will help you improve your writing skills
- It can generate more views and increase your AdSense earnings.
After publishing your content,
- Share on Social Media
- Build Base Links
- Read Comments and Reply to Them
- Maximize/Repurpose Your Content
I have tried to cover everything, from OnPage SEO and writing tips to OffPage SEO and promotion. Writing SEO friendly usually resumes to giving useful information. Don’t just write for the numbers, write to cover a topic very well. Go in-depth. Bring something new to the table.
If you have any query don’t forget to drop a comment below.
If you like this content subscribe our Blog via Email to get notified for awesome content like this