What is a SSL?
The Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) is the most widely deployed security protocol used today. It is essentially a protocol that provides a secure channel between two machines operating over the Internet or an internal network.
In today’s Internet-focused world, the SSL protocol is typically used when a web browser needs to securely connect to a web server over the inherently insecure Technically, SSL is a transparent protocol which requires little interaction from the end user when establishing a secure session.
In the case of a browser, for instance, users are alerted to the presence of SSL when the browser displays a padlock, or, in the case of Extended Validation SSL, when the address bar displays both a padlock and a green bar. This is the key to the success of SSL – it is an incredibly simple experience for end users.
Why you need a SSL for your website?
- A secure connection between the browser and the server of the website they are visiting.
- Visitors trust when the website is secured. HTTPS site with green padlock and company or organization name increase the credibility and trust of a website and company.
- Protects visitor information
- Google ranks secured sites higher in search results compared to an unsecured site.
How Does SSL Certificate Work?
Now that we have explained what is SSL and why is it important, you might be wondering how does an SSL certificate actually works?
SSL protects information by encrypting the data transfer between a user’s browser and the website.
When a user visits an SSL/HTTPs website, their browser first verifies if the website’s SSL certificate is valid.
If everything checks out, then the browser uses the website’s public key to encrypt the data. This data is then sent back to the intended server (website) where it is decrypted using the public key and a secret private key.
How Much Do SSL Certificates Cost?
The cost of SSL certificates differs from one certification authority to another. Its price could be anywhere between $ 50-200 / year. Some providers offer complementary services with their certificates that may also affect the cost of your SSL certificate.
If you are buying an SSL certificate, we recommend that you use Domain.com. They are one of the largest domain name registration services in the world and offer the best offer in SSL certificates.
They offer simple SSL certificate plans starting at $ 35.99 / year, and come with a $ 10,000 security guarantee along with the TrustLogo site seal. Once you have purchased an SSL certificate, you can ask your hosting provider to install it for you.
But before doing so, you should check if you can get the SSL certificate for free.
How to get an SSL for your website?
- Firstly you have to go to the website named “Cloudflare“
- Click on the “Sign up” button and enter your email and password. Then click ‘Create Account‘.
- Add your website (Example: yourwebsitename.com) and click on the “Add Site” Button. after this, you will see this page.
- Click on ‘Next‘. Then you will see the plan details of Cloudflare. Select the FREE plan and click “confirm plan“.
- After that, you see your website name and the full details of DNS servers attached with it. Then simply click on “Continue“.
- well, now your website is connected to Cloudflare.
- So, now we have to add the Nameservers to our Domain. To add the Nameservers we need to login our domain providers website.
- so to find your Domain provider just click on “I need help changing my nameservers” and the website will automatically scan your Domain and give the Domain provider’s name.
- Here my Domain provider is Godaddy.com. Now you have to log in your Domain provider’s website. Just go to Domain provider’s website (example: godaddy.com)
- Here you can see, we are logged in on our domain providers website and here you can see we have the same domain that we have previously added in Cloudflare. Next click on ‘DNS‘ Button. Then go to “Nameservers” and click “Change“.
- Then change your Nameserver type from “Default” to ‘Custom’. Now enter the Nameservers that provided on Cloudflare and click “Save“.
- Now we have successfully added our Nameservers to our Domain. Then go to Cloudflare and click “Continue“. Then you will see the following page.
- To check whether the nameservers are changed or not click on “Re-check Now“. Now reload the page and you will see a notification that the nameservers are changed.
- Now we will have to add the Cloudflare Plugin to our WordPress. To install Plugin go to WordPress>Plugins>Add new. Now search for “Flexible SSL“. Now install and activate it.
- Now in the final step, we have to enable SSL in Cloudflare. To activate it go to Cloudflare account and click on the ‘LOCK‘ icon on the top bar.
- Now go down and turn ON the option “Always use https“.
- You are Done! Now go to your website and reload it. You will see a ‘Lock‘ icon before your website URL and your website URL will be changed from “HTTP” to “https” that means your website is now protected.
An Electrical Engineer by profession and a blogger by passion.. Fountainhead of Blogginginn (Blog)